On Line Hero School and Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gearing Up.

5 posters

Go down

Gearing Up. Empty Gearing Up.

Post  Sent Tue May 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Hey guys.

Sentinel of Calgary, Alberta

I'm a martial aritst, a security professional, an armour-maker, historian, artist and journalist (No, I'm not now, or ever, writing any articles on RLSHs- conflict of interests)

I've always been the guy who got invovled. I can't let people be victimized and stand by.

Usually, this means that I'm putting myself in harm's way.

So, I started designing armour so that I could help people in safety. Then, I realized that I was designing more than that. I was designing a supersuit.

My final design is now ready to manufacture... when the dust settles, I'm going to be largely resistant to small-arms and rifle fire, as well as impact, slash and puncture proof.

I will also have rescue tools, first aid gear and cuffs in my utility belt.

In the end, it's gonna run me nearly $3000 and a lot of sweat equity- but the result will be a symbol for hope and a chance for me to protect what people I can, when I can.

Thank you guys for being here- as silly as people may think this is, and as crazy as a lot of folks must think we are... I think this matters.

Sent

Back to top Go down

Gearing Up. Empty Re: Gearing Up.

Post  Paladin Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

There we go. All registered up. Just like a big kid. Wink
Paladin
Paladin
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  PhilosopherZero Tue May 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Armored super-suit.
Outstanding.
Sounds similar to some of my efforts.
I found a combination of multi-layered Kevlar bonded to a semi-rigid framework, combining ceramic plating and flexible mesh at the joints, creates a veritable impenetrable barrier to small arms fire, blades, and blunt impact weapons.

I got to the point of considering mass production and marketing the suit components, but decided at this point, the effort was too capital-intensive. However, the stuff is there. Waiting.

We should compare notes.
Stark Industries has nothing on us ;-)

Excelsior!
PZ
PhilosopherZero
PhilosopherZero
Student
Student

http://www.costumedhero.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GuardianMatrix Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 am

Welcome Sentinel
GM
GuardianMatrix
GuardianMatrix
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Superman Wed May 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Welcome to the school Sentinel. Plenty of bad guys to go around sad to say. Hopefully here we will learn what we need to deal with the lot of them. One of the things that will make us stronger is sharing skill sets so each can benefit from one another. Another thing is all of us working to keep the BS to a minimum and promptly dealing with trolls, RPG’ers and COS players. While I have nothing against RPGers and COS players they have no place on a board dedicated to training Real Heroes. In here Trolls only last as long as it takes the nearest Admin to find his delete button. I look forward to your participation and contributions.

Superman
Superman
Superman
Principal
Principal

https://hero-school.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Gearing Up. Empty Welcome

Post  TheHybrid Wed May 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Welcome sentinel,

Sorry i didn't get to your account problem sooner, im still in school Smile
For the suit i am building, i use kevlar and d3o layers. If you don't know what d3o is, it's a silly putty substance that locks up (hardens) when hit with a strong impact. They made a material with it that you can buy on their site. Just search google for the site. I love this material aswell because it's orange Very Happy

-Hybrid
TheHybrid
TheHybrid
Hall monitor
Hall monitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Paladin Wed May 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Hybrid- I'm aware of d3o. Do we know if it has had any ballistic testing?
Paladin
Paladin
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

Gearing Up. Empty Re:

Post  TheHybrid Thu May 06, 2010 12:47 pm

All I know is that d3o has been tested from people wearing d3o hats and getting smacked in the head with shouvels.
TheHybrid
TheHybrid
Hall monitor
Hall monitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Paladin Fri May 07, 2010 2:22 pm

My suggestion would be to have a Kevlar exterior to catch/trap the bullet, and have d3o padding underneath to absorb the blunt trauma from the round. This will cost some money to do, but make a rectangular sample of this combination and take it down to the local shooting ranges. See if any of them do testing with ballistic clay. This will help you to determine how much force is getting through the d3o through a process called "backface deformation"- the clay, which is applied to a target while soft, is then draped with your armour and shot. You can then inspect the armour for penetration, and the size of the dents on the soft clay backing will tell you how much blunt trauma was channeled through the Kevlar/d3o combination.

Edit: I've actually been considering something similar for hidden plates under chainmail for medieval re-enactment, which is how I heard about d3o in the first place. Still waiting to hear back from them on price of material, etc.
Paladin
Paladin
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum