On Line Hero School and Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Types of Heroic activity

+3
Sakujo
Redlockthesuper
Superman
7 posters

Go down

Types of Heroic activity Empty Types of Heroic activity

Post  Superman Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:19 pm

There are 3 basic areas of super hero activities. I am going to list them from least likely to most likely to put you in harms way. It is for each hero to decide for themselves how important any of the areas are and how much concentration to put into a particular area.

1 Charitable Activities

This includes but isn’t limited to Blood Donations, Housing the Homeless, Feeding the Hungry and assisting, sponsoring or otherwise supporting any other charitable activity. Things like this inspire hope and their value can’t be overestimated. While much of it is dull thankless grunt work with a fairly high burnout rate at least you aren’t usually in harms way doing it.

2 Heroic Rescues

Saving folks from drowning or burning buildings and car wrecks are all in a hero’s days work. There is a heightened danger in many of these because of what danger caused things in the first place but at least no one is actively trying to do you harm. But when doing a rescue or rendering 1st aid know your limits or you’ll end up doing more harm than good. There is no sure way of predicting where an emergency situation may occur but if you happen to be a first responder on one you may save lives as seconds count. This is also a situation where there is no such a thing as too much training.

3 Active Crime Fighting

Chasing capturing and corralling bad guys is a time honored super hero tradition straight out of the comic books that 1st inspired the RLSH movement. It is also the one most likely to get you killed. Unlike the more just world of the comic book a bad guy in the real world will cheerfully bust a cap on you. The odds are not automatically in your favor just because your heart is just and true. In addition your legal authorities will likely label you a crazed vigilante weather you are one or not. So not only do you have to track down and foil criminals you also have to (much like those you chase) be aware of the movements of the police. The best broadview policy for interaction with law enforcement is to be gone before they get there. You must also take into account that violence is part of the bad guys stock and trade. Successful ones are very good at it too. The hero usually limits themselves to non-lethal, non-permanently crippling tactics while the bad guy’s responses have no such limits. So once again know your limits and also once again there is no such a thing as too much training. The kind of training will likely be different from what you learn for #2 but if you don’t learn it you may well be seriously injured or die.

So these are the 3 main areas as I see it. If you think I have overlooked something that doesn’t fit into the categories listed or want to expand on anything here make a post.

Superman

Superman
Superman
Principal
Principal

https://hero-school.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Types of Heroic activity Empty Re: Types of Heroic activity

Post  Redlockthesuper Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:01 pm

You pretty much summed it up Supes. But you forgot "Old school kick-ass no rules vigilante".
Redlockthesuper
Redlockthesuper
Hall monitor
Hall monitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakujo Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Old school kick ass no rules vigilante has far too many possble legal consequences, so it isn't suggested.
Sakujo
Sakujo
Hall monitor
Hall monitor

Back to top Go down

Post  ZYKLON B Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Hey don't forget those of us who will fight crime for cash Very Happy
ZYKLON B
ZYKLON B
Hero For Hire
Hero For Hire

Back to top Go down

Post  Redlockthesuper Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:53 am

It might have legal consequences but people still do it. Have you ever been hired Zyk? If so what was the job?
Redlockthesuper
Redlockthesuper
Hall monitor
Hall monitor

Back to top Go down

Types of Heroic activity Empty you forgot 1?

Post  The_Baffling_WEIRDO Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:52 pm

@ supes:
you may not count it,but there are entertainers. who may not be real,but in the public's eye & still contribute something
to society....dreams & hope & I can't imagine a world without them.
-bW* clown
The_Baffling_WEIRDO
The_Baffling_WEIRDO
Teacher
Teacher

http://bafflingwierdo@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Superman Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:04 am

Entertainers are real all right BW. I always thought of that as part of the public service aspect. A sort of care package for the soul. As far as more active Kick ass vigilante types go they are covered in # 3 Active crime fighting. The thing is can you combine all 3 aspects in 1 heroic identity or do you need 2 or more identities. When I was most active I kept my crime fighting Identity separate from my entertaining one. Both were available for the heroic rescue part.

Superman
Superman
Superman
Principal
Principal

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Baffling_WEIRDO Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:21 am

@ supes:
I use only 1 gimmic to do all my duties,entertain or charity,patrol & whatever. I believe image is #1!
-bW* clown
The_Baffling_WEIRDO
The_Baffling_WEIRDO
Teacher
Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post  Superman Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:29 pm

The_Baffling_WEIRDO wrote:@ supes:
you may not count it,but there are entertainers. who may not be real,but in the public's eye & still contribute something
to society....dreams & hope & I can't imagine a world without them.
-bW* clown
The_Baffling_WEIRDO wrote:@ supes:
I use only 1 gimmic to do all my duties,entertain or charity,patrol & whatever. I believe image is #1!
-bW* clown

As I said in an earlier reply BW part of being a hero is inspiring hope etc. A clown does that so you fit the bill. All the things you describe doing as a clown fit good under the #1 section so a single persona is more than enough. But if you went out as a quasi-vigilante crime fighting clown bopping bad guys with a lead shot filled rubber chicken you might want an extra clown suit to do it in.

Redlockthesuper wrote:You pretty much summed it up Supes. But you forgot "Old school kick-ass no rules vigilante".
Sakujo wrote:Old school kick ass no rules vigilante has far too many possble legal consequences, so it isn't suggested.

Active crime fighting was covered in #3. That includes what you call a kick ass vigilante. As a matter of fact when I started out that’s exactly what I was. I gave that persona to the guy who took over when I left where I was to come to NY and get married. As a reference think “DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS” from The Princess Bride. I gave my word not to say what that name was so the new guy has my rep to add to what he has done since. A lot of folks seem to think that a RLSH is a relatively new concept born on the Internet. It is not new and it started at least in my case before there was an Internet. Now as far as the legal consequences that Sakujo mentions carefully maintaining an honest to God secret Identity and making sure I was gone before the cops or other legal authorities arrived circumvented any legal dilemmas.

ZYKLON B wrote:Hey don't forget those of us who will fight crime for cash Very Happy
Redlockthesuper wrote:It might have legal consequences but people still do it. Have you ever been hired Zyk? If so what was the job?

With minor variations these are covered by #3 too. Especially if you go along the lines of Dog The Bounty Hunter. If you weren’t hiding behind a secret identity you’d have to know what laws apply to your area.

So that’s the long and short of it gang. I’ll leave it to you to figure out how I got all of those quotes into 1 large reply.

Superman
Twisted Evil Very Happy tongue pirat Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Superman
Superman
Principal
Principal

Back to top Go down

Post  ZYKLON B Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:13 pm

SURE I HAVE!! I GET HIRED OUT ALL THE TIME.. but thats work, not for any fun stuff... damnitt
ZYKLON B
ZYKLON B
Hero For Hire
Hero For Hire

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor S Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:03 pm

As I remember dog the bounty hunter served jail time on more then one occasion. Perhaps me and hero for hire, could start, earth agents Heroes for Hire. Maybe get some other people to help out.

Then if a team is having a problem. They call us up. Of course we wouldn't work for free, everyone's got to make a living right?

Of course, no holds barred vigilante could also be black ops.

Sincerely,

steve
Professor S
Professor S
Teacher
Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Baffling_WEIRDO Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 pm

your right supes,I agree. by the way? how did you know,my rubberchicken was loaded?lol
-bW* clown
seriously,it's not lead tho' but it's got it's tricks!lol
The_Baffling_WEIRDO
The_Baffling_WEIRDO
Teacher
Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post  Superman Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:59 pm

I ended up with several identities for # 1

Superman
Santa Claus
The Easter Bunny
The Hams Beer Bear
An invisible Leprechaun

But all had 2 things in common. They bring Joy to children and increase the WOW factor on a mundane world. If I ever go quasi-vigilante again I’ll have to cobble up anew ID to cover it.

Superman
Superman
Superman
Principal
Principal

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor S Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:00 pm

lol I want to be santa claus
Professor S
Professor S
Teacher
Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Baffling_WEIRDO Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:28 pm

I agree with prof.S supes,santa is a good gig for sure!
-bW* clown
The_Baffling_WEIRDO
The_Baffling_WEIRDO
Teacher
Teacher

Back to top Go down

Types of Heroic activity Empty Yeah, I have an opinion too.....sigh

Post  Malachite Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:49 pm

I think that all Heroes are "good guys", but not all Heroes are "nice" guys. Some Heroes fight crime, poverty, injustice with clean socks and education. Other Heroes prefer a stun gun and a swift kick to the choppers. Both are effective in their own rights and I believe should be respected. Personally, I like the fact that there are people out there doing good, caring, non-violent things for the civilians. The world just can't have enough of that. Unfortunately the "clientel" I deal with respond better to blunt-force trauma than a hot meal. But then, I'm not trying to reform them...just stop them. As for me, I don't suscribe to the idea of doing good for money; which isn't altruism - it's commerce. Or doing good for recognition, which is not charity -it's P.R. For me (and it's just my opinion), anonymity is the very real difference between true heroics and benevolent but self serving acts of kindness. Media coverage is a bogus way of verifying Heroic activities. It's slanted, always corporate influenced, and usually enthralled to the government - which means you can kiss objectivity and "truth" out the window. I say "Make no oaths. Let your yes be yes and your no be no". Don't talk about doing it, my friends....go out and "Do it". Now, I'm certainly not suggesting to anyone that ANY act of "kindness" should be avoided or dismissed simply because of motive. To the contrary, humans simply don't do anything without a personal motive. Just keep your motives out of the eye of the public (unless you're a "spokesman" for your agenda).Heroes who desire to stand in the spotlight run the risk of being misrepresented in the public court of opinion, casting a shadow of scepticism upon the Hero, his/her mission, motives, and calling. Let's face it... we're all a little crazy. But we don't have to tell the world every time we go to work.
Then again, what do I know. I mostly just break "stuff".

Last edited by Malachite on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Malachite
Malachite
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor S Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:53 pm

Greetings,

It's interesting that you speak of that. I'm into what you might call Social Entreprenuership. Where you make money, but also try and be socially responsible. I think american business has lost it's way. They have become to short-sided. As a result we are losing are competitive edge.
Professor S
Professor S
Teacher
Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum